Sunday, February 29, 2004

Whatever Happened to Saturday Night? ("Sunday Morning!")

*sigh* so, the first Saturday night o' work's going as expected... not a blessed thing to do, except a few make-up samples which I'll get to later. Cleaned some glassware, dashed upstairs to sample the remains of my celebratory lunch (I made a small spread for the crew on the occasion of completing my probationary period. The gang was most impressed with the dolmades I made), and brushed up on my websurfing.

Saw an old friend from years gone by over Shabbat. Twelve years, one marriage, and two kids later, and she looks the same as I remember... truly unfair; still, wonderful to see her again. Weird thing: she asked how I, "the genius," was doing. I guess I was something of a brainiac back in the day, but after all the people I've met since we last saw each other, it's hard for me to think of myself as smart. I went to school with so many brilliant people at Cooper, and I'm struggling to crank through my current program. I make a decent salary, but I'm sure that I'm in the median-to-low range of people whom I graduated with, and I'm not in any high-tech/ high-visibility field. It's kinda nice, though, to have people think you're intelligent.

Actually, I ran into two old friends this week, having re-read Robert McCammon's Boy's Life, which I first read about a dozen years ago. As magical a piece of storytelling as any I've ever experienced; I laughed, I cried, and I wanted it to never end. How you can have an Alabama murder mystery set in the '60s turn into the universal coming-of-age story is beyond my ability to explain, but McCammon does it with an effortless prose, incisive psychological insight, and boy's-eye view of life that is simply breathtaking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home