Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Radio Ha-Ha

Thanks to Eric Burns, I discovered R U Seated Comfortably?, an online archive of classic radio shows. I've long been a huge fan of old radio comedy (blame the parents and the uncle who let me listen to records and tapes of Jack Benny, the Shadow, and the Bickersons), and I think this collection will keep me more than busy during the music-free three weeks.

When The Lovely Wife(tm) and I caught Light in the Piazza last week, I wanted to criticize it; I really did. The book is slight, several scenes are never resolved, and the premise seems silly. Every time I thought anything along those lines, though, Adam Guettel's score started playing, and Kelli O'Hara, Victoria Clark, or Matthew Morrison started singing, and I totally forgot what I was complaining about. I haven't heard three voices this stunning on a single stage since half past never, and when you consider that two of them are sopranos (a vocal range that I generally appreciate in small doses), it's all the more remarkable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home