Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Oy Yoi Yoi

New Year's Resolution #1: Blog more frequently!
New Year's Resolution #2: Do interesting things, so I can keep resolution #1.

It's been a pretty boring time out in efrex-land: baby efrex is keeping us crazy busy, and looking mighty cute doing it, if we may say so ourselves; we got a lovely visit from the lovely N'il and her lovely man; I got a nice bit of feedback from a promotion interview but no job offer; and, last but not least, we caught our first Broadway show in almost half a year, leaving the kid with his grandfather for a few hours while we dashed off to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (much fun; David Yazbeck's score is a very-underrated mixture of contemporary and classic pastiche, and, while Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott were both out, their understudies performed admirably, and John Lithgow & Co. were delightful).

Proof that you're getting old #4,742: things you used to joke about sound like prophecy. Back when I was a sprig of a twig of a lad, I jokingly referred to Bob Marley's "Buffalo Soldier" as the cry of the Jewish mother ("Oy yoy yoy, oy yoy yoy yoy"). Now, apparently, I'm the last person on earth to listen to Matisyahu, the Lubavitcher Chassid reggae sensation, who fuses Rasta stylings with chassidic nigunim. Although Reggae's not really my thing (I like being able to understand lyrics, and the ones that I do understand have way too many cliches and fake rhymes for my taste), there's no denying the talent level there. I think, though, that I'll play it more for the kid than for myself. It's perfect baby music: repetitious, simplistic lyrics, interspersed with nonsense monosyllabic chants. Hmm, I wonder if we'll see Matisyahu and O.A.R. performing at the next "Mommy and Me" meeting at the local Y?

Nah, probably not.

2 Comments:

At 11:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matisyahu is an artist true, but not something I think Orthodox Jews should serve as a role model since he's catering mostly to a secular world, but thats just me

 
At 9:58 PM , Blogger Faye said...

OAR has Maryland roots. Benj's brother is a friend of mine. As a side note, the kid is ever adorable.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home