Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Hold it steady right there while she hits it

Anybody in the NYC area with any interest in vocal music has got to stop whatever they're doing and catch Natalie Douglas's show at the Laurie Beechman Theater at the West Bank Cafe. Her show, "To Nina: The Songs of Nina Simone" is, quite simply, one of the most fantabulous evenings I have ever had in a cabaret space1.

I confess to not being overly familiar with the work of the late Dr. Simone, but Natalie chose a selection of songs sung and written by the "high priestess of soul" which makes me want to know a heckuva lot more. From a low "Summertime/I Loves You, Porgy" to the playful "Forbidden Fruit," Douglas commanded a crackerjack quartet (including Mark Hartman, working on his day off from conducting Avenue Q on Broadway) that threw everything but the kitchen sink into Simone's jazzy arrangements.

The Beechman itself is a delightful space, with a beautiful wood-beamed ceiling and great sound (except for a slightly noticeable buzz at one point which quickly got cleared up). A full grand piano on stage made for some beautiful music.

The last show of this series is going to be at the Triad. Don't even think about missing it.


1Conflict-of-interest notification: I've known Natalie for a few years now as a singing waitress at Brandy's Piano Bar, and she's been known to comp me a drink or two; however, if you think that I'd sell my critical objectiveness for a couple of free margaritas and Sprites, you're wrong (I'd need at least a couple of Sam Smiths's for that).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home